Thursday 26 February 2009

Dinner Party Guests

Picture Accreditation: Allan Engelhardt
Who would you invite to your party?

I was asked the question yesterday, 'If you hosted a dinner party, what five people would you invite?' Although at first glance it looks like quite a straightforward question, it got me thinking.
If I was only allowed five people from throughout history who would I choose?
I could choose close family as they would be the ones who would probably appreciate the party the most. But, I could pick five of my closest friends as this would probably end up being the most fun party. However, in both of these cases people are going to have to be left out. This would then cause arguments and I could even lose friends over it. This would therefore make me feel guilty for throwing the party, no matter how good it was. A third option would be to invite five celebrities that you don't know but could hope to get along with. Theoretically this is probably the best option. Firstly because other celebrities are unlikely to get angry at being left out, and secondly because as there are five of them it is likely that you are at least going to get on with one or two of them. If I invited five celebrities they would be: Paul O'Grady, because he always seems to have something to say and would be brilliant for the conversation at the party. Secondly I would invite Julie Walters, just because I can't think of anything bad that she has acted in and she'd be fantastic in the compulsory game of charades. Next up would be Elvis Presley as he would provide superb musical entertainment. Fourth would be Victoria Wood, the Queen of comedy. She would help to break the ice with a few jokes and may even provide some light entertainment by acting out a few sketches with Julie Walters. Finally I would invite Mel Brooks, the film director. I don't really have a reason as for why, I just like his films. Of course, there is no guarantee that these five people would get on or would even reply to the invites. My friend who first asked me this question has told me that I've thought about this far too much and apparently I should just have given five names!


2 comments:

  1. Five dinner party guests eh? I'd pick Bob Marley, My Mum, Dawn French, Bill Bailey and Heston Blumenthal...even though he'd probably criticise my food!
    No guarantee these people would get on, but if I had to suggest seating arrangements, Bob would be next to Bill, Heston next to my Mum and myself next to Dawn :)
    Do you know they do something similar to this in Closer magazine? They ask a celebrity who they'd invite for dinner if then had the chance.
    I think I'll go watch some Come Dine With Me Now...
    Nice blog Chris!
    Holly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thinking with Heston Blumenthal, if you're lucky he might make you his Bacon and egg ice cream!

    ReplyDelete